Teaching and Supervision
|Since autumn 2008
Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (2013-)
- HCI course for 2nd year
BSc Medieninformatik, open as 'scientific module' for students of Media
Arts & Design
- Supervisor for Patrick Tobias
Fischer (PhD). "Urban HCI: Understanding and Conceptualizing Urban
Situations Through Media Interventions" (University of
Strathclyde, started Sept. 2009, RA/TA at BUW since 2013, viva in 2015,
corrections completed and PhD'ed in 2016): external examiner: Prof.
Peter Dalsgaard, Aarhus University
- Supervisor for Dr. rer nat
Trevor Hogan (lecturer at Crawford College of Art & Design,
Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland). "Data and Dasein, A
Phenomenology of Human-Data Relations.“ (University of
Strathclyde, started June 2011) (external part-time PhD student,
transferred to BUW in 2013, submitted April 2016, defended Nov. 2016):
external examiner: Prof. Dag Svanaes, University of Trondheim
- Second Supervisor for Dr. Ing.
Martin Kaltenbrunner (Professor at the Institute of Media Studies at
the University of Art and Design in Linz). „An Abstraction
Framework for Tangible Interactive Surfaces“. (exernal PhD
student, first supervisor Prof. Florian Echtler). Cumulative Doctoral
Dissertation at BUW viva in Nov. 2017 (external examiner: Prof.
- 'National Expert' (i.e. 3d external
supervisory/mentoring role) for Dr. Katharina (Katta) Spiel,
TU Vienna from late 2015, defended in Dec. 2018.
- Supervisor for Loraine Clarke (PhD) (University of Strathclyde, started Oct 2011, viva in May 2019, completed and PhD'ed in 2019), external examiner: Dr. Dirk vom Lehn, Kings College London
PhD theses committee for Jens Emil Sloth Grønbæk."Rethinking Proxemics: Designing Interactive Technologies for Co-located Collaboration."Aarhus University, Denmark 6.May 2020. Committee: Jesper Kjeldskov, Eva Hornecker, Anders Møller
PhD theses committee for Joan Ho Chu. "Embodied Engagement With Narrative: A Design Framework For Presenting Cultural Heritage Artifacts With Digital Media." Georgia Tech Univ. 27.April 2018. Committee: Ali Mazalek (advisor), Kenneth Knoespel, Janet Murray, Michael Nitsche, Eva Hornecker
Doctoral Theses committee for Vasiliki Tsaknaki. "Making Preciousness: Interaction Design Through Studio Crafts". KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, School of Computer Science and Communication, January 2018
External examiner for Joan Sol Roo. "One Reality. Augmenting the human experience through the combination of physical and digital worlds". Inria Sud-Ouest, Bordeaux, France. Dec 2017.
Dissertation Committee for Alexander Kulik. "User Interfaces for Cooperation". Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Faculty of Media, Medieninformatik. 11.Oktober 2016
Pre-examiner / Reviewer for Anna Luusua, PhD "Experiencing and Evaluating Digital Augmentation of Public Urban Places". University of Oulu, Oulu School of Architecture, Finland 2016 - link to theses
3d examiner for Yvonne Ludewig, Dr. Phil. "Untersuchung des Einflusses sozio-emotionaler Faktoren auf die soziale Akzeptanz und Nutzungsintention bei Lotsenrobotern", Faculty of Economics and Media, TU Ilmenau, Jan. 2016
External Examiner for Kathleen Learmonth Vaisutis, Master of Information Technology (by research) thesis on "Understanding the Roles of Social and Tangible Technologies in Maintaining Social Interaction, Habits and Independence into Old Age", Queensland University of Technology, Australia, 2015
3d (and external) examiner for Eckard Riedenklau, Dr.Ing. on "Development of Actuated Tangible User Interfaces: New Interaction Concepts and Evaluation Methods". Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University. 2015
External Examiner for Taciana Pontual da Rocha Falcao's PhD on "Discovery Learning with tangible technologies: the case of children with intellectual disabilities" at the Institute of Education, University of London, UK. 2014
External Examiner (Gutachter) for Fabian Hemmert, Dr.-Ing. "Encountering the Digital: Representational and Experiential Embodiment in Tangible User Interfaces. A >research through design< approach to the concept of >embodiment< in Human-Computer Interaction". Faculty of Design, University of the Arts Berlin / Universität der Künste Berlin, 2014
External Examiner for Sébastien Cuendet, Docteur ès Sciences, "Tangible Interfaces for Learning: Training Spatial Skills in Vocational Classrooms". École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland 2013
External Examiner for Astrid Twenebowa Larssen, Doctor of Philosophy, "How it Feels Not Just How it Looks. Towards an Understanding of Kinaesthetic and Proprioceptive Experience of Interaction with Technology". University of Technology Sydney, Australia 2010
External Examiner. Doctor of Philosophy Thesis (confidential). University of Queensland, Australia 2007.
External Examiner for Dean
Hargreaves, Master of Philosophy Thesis 'Internet Based Support for
Farmers Situated Learning and Planning'. University of Queensland,
Supervising B.Sc. and M.Sc. theses at BUW
Supervising of final year projects (Bachelor and MEng) in the University of Strathclyde programs (in 4th year).
- Peter Kinnaird. Emoti: Emotion Recognition and Sharing using 3D Gestures and Social Networks. B.Sc Computer Science 4th year project 2011-2012 (co-supervised with Prof. Lynne Baillie, Glasgow Caledonian University)
- Victor Lee. Actuated Tangibles. Master in CES 4th year project 2011-2012
- Kenneth Coyle. Searching Twitterstreams on an Interactive Tablem TabletopTweets. B.Sc. in Software Engineering 4th year project 2011-2012
- Stuart Linden Swindells. A serendipitous mobile tourist guide (MEng - Master of Engineering 4 th year project) 2010-2011
- Carrie McCrindel. Supporting Children's Decision Making via a Tangible Tabletop Voting System (B.Sc. in Computer Science final year project) 2010-2011
- Micheal McCoormick. A Multitouch/tangible Defend&Attack strategy game. (B.Sc. in Software Engineering final year project) 2009-2010
- Robert Campbell. An Interactive Museum Based Game for Mobile Phones. (B.Sc. in Computer Science final year project) 2009-1010
Supervising master and bachelor theses projects at TU Vienna
- Matthias Stifter. Master in Informatics Thesis. Quantitative Analyse des Besucherverhaltens - Evaluierung der Ausstellung medien.welten des Technischen Museums Wien mittels automatisch-protokollierten Besucherinteraktionen. TU Vienna, Austria 2005
- Margit Blauhut and
Christian Ritzinger. Bachelor in Media Informatics final year project
- Stefan Schmied, Daniela
Ochs and Manuela Sellner. Bachelor in Media Informatics final year
Teaching before Weimar:
University of Strathclyde (2008-2013)I regularly taught the following courses:
- HCI (part of two-part course on 'User and
Data Modeling') co-taught with Dr. Mark Dunlop, lectures and
- Designing Usable Systems (advanced HCI
course for the 5th year M'Eng students and Advanced CS Master) with Dr.
Mark Dunlop, involving scenario-based design, interaction design, user
study methods, prototyping and concept generation
- Topics 1, (2008-2010) a 6-week module on Interaction Design for 1st-semester students, where we had students e.g. identify and analyze an 'underused' space in town and develop a concept using tech to revitalize this space or to develop something for entertaining and supporting commuters in public transport
2006 (New Zealand)
- 3-5 July 06: 3 day workshop on Interaction Design taught with
Mark Billinghurst and Amanda Mander
Multimediaproduktion 2: Interaktionsdesign. 2nd year bachelor program (lectures, weekly lab exercises + assignments) summer term 2003 and 2004. 4,5 ECTS undergraduate course for bachelor media informatics. Co-taught and newly developed with Dr. Hilda Tellioglu.
Spezielle Kapitel der MedienInformatik 2: Tangible Computing. Postgraduate course (lectures, seminar + project work) summer term 2004. 3 ECTS postgraduate class
Experimentelle Gestaltung von Multimedia-Anwendungen. Postgraduate course (lectures, student exercises + project) summer term 2004) - 6 ECTS postgraduate course on experimental design methods
Projektorientierte Recherche. Postgraduate course (lecture, seminar and project). winter term 2003. 6 ECTS course on research methods for media design
Course (Seminar) "Sinn für die Sinne -- Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Real Reality"
with Willi Bruns and Bernd Robben in WS 97/98, University of Bremen, Dept. of Informatics
During studies (at Technical